Diapers and Dragons

Friday, March 12, 2010

TeacherMommy 2.0

This post today...it's important enough that I created a calendar reminder for it. And now I sit and stare at this screen wondering where to begin. I texted wrote a friend about it. He tried, he really did, but it's a tricky little conundrum.

TM: i restarted my blog a year ago today. i want to write a post about it, but i'm not sure what i want to write about.

J: How far you've come and grown over the past year.

TM: yes, but HOW
not sure how to approach it
it's one of those things that's sort of massive, so i don't know where to start


J: At the beginning.

TM: oh, that helps. i'm not sure where the beginning is....

And that is the problem. Where is the beginning?

Almost exactly fifteen months ago I wrote this. And then I vanished from the blog for three months. On Tuesday, March 12, 2009, I returned with this post. Just a short one. But there are words in there that speak a great deal about what had passed during that space of time.

Twelve months ago...the time seems both massive and fleeting in retrospect. One thirty-second of my life. So very much has happened during that time: the attempt, and failure, to save my marriage; the decision to file for divorce; slow renewal of faith; the discovery and development of new friendships; the rediscovery and deepening of old friendships; renewed interest in teaching; slow growth and change in my parenting; facing and grieving and healing from a very old wound; and so very much more.

Above all else: the discovery of Myself. I spent so many years hiding my true Self from not only other people, but from myself. I hid behind walls of my own making in the belief that if I let anyone behind them, much less tore them down, I would be wounded anew. I had no faith in the love and forgiveness of others; I had no faith in God's ability to heal; I had no faith in myself.

I have so far to go, still. Life is, after all, a journey, and if I were to believe that I had nothing more to learn, well then that would mean I was once more hiding from the truth. But when I look back over this year of pain and joy, wounding and healing, learning and growing, I realize that who I am now is Beautiful. And as I learn to love myself, I learn how to love others, how to open myself up to the possibilities that life and love have to offer, and how to give myself fully rather than always holding something back in reserve.

It's time to put all my chips on the table.

I'm All In.

8 bits of love:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on this past year. I discovered your blog shortly after I returned to blogging last spring. You've had quite the year. I'm glad that you've stuck it out. I used to say that life was good if you don't weaken. In truth, life is just good. Even the sucky parts. I look forward to the next year’s worth of posts.

Unknown said...

Your next year's worth of posts.

(Just wanted to be clear.)

Brenda said...

You are one beautiful brave soul. I hope you know that.xoxoxo

Moonrayvenne said...

I'm glad you decided to stick it out. Remember you always have a friend here. (((HUGS)))

mom said...

Yes, Beautiful, you've come a long ways this year. (And I'm glad you finally agree with me that you are Beautiful.) And you subtly tucked away in this post that truth, that you can't really love others when you don't love yourself (our Best Friend said that was true, and of Top Importance). Beloved, keep growing. And loving. Deeply rooted and blossoming.

Draft Queen said...

I wasn't there then, but that doesn't lessen just how proud I am of how far you've come.

I love you.

Nicola said...

Congrats on one year! I hadn't realised we had started our blogs so close to one another. Yet ANOTHER thing in common...jeez, I can hardly keep up. Here's to the next year of continued loving and learning my friend...xxxx

Paula said...

Hi, I'm a "new" reader - probably the one you shouted out to about a month ago. I enjoy your writing and reading about your journey. Best of luck and please continue to share your talent.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wait! Where Are You Going?

Wait! Where Are You Going?
 
Clicky Web Analytics