Diapers and Dragons

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

absence

i miss you
your smiles and giggles
your chuckles and sly glances
snuggling in bed on lazy mornings
while you climb and wrestle over me
on me
i am your playground

sometimes i lie there and listen
while you talk and play and fight
in your room
knowing that all too soon
you will no longer be content
with such small things
some books
a train
a dragon
some bears

and find myself torn
between longing for
and fearing
those all-too-soon
not-soon-enough
days and years
when you will be grown enough
to need me less

i fear you leaving me
and yet
know that is what you must do
someday
if i have done my job

and on these days
when the distance is real
the absence already here
i bury the ache
push the loss to the back of my mind
busy myself with all the things
and people
who fill me up in other ways

today
this moment
it's not enough
and i cannot deny
even to myself

yes
i miss you
and always will


6 bits of love:

Dorset Dispatches said...

I love it. So sweet, and the photo is adorable. Your kids and mine would get on like a house on fire!

melissa said...

that's how i've been feeling lately. i miss my babies. they grew into teens so fast.
beautiful poem honey!!
i miss you!!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Such a familiar feeling, so lovingly rendered. Reminds me of one of Gretchen Rubin's four splendid truths: "The days are long but the years are short."

And I'll Raise You 5 said...

Beautiful, Teacher Mommy

Laura@OutnumberedMom said...

I just discovered you! Love your blog.

I'm a Teacher Mom, too -- only I have FOUR sons. Come on over to OutnumberedMom for some mom inspiration and encouragement.

Unknown said...

I saw the title of this post on my side bar and I thought it said "Abstinence." I thought, "Surely, not her!"

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Wait! Where Are You Going?

Wait! Where Are You Going?
 
Clicky Web Analytics